Registration Out of State / Country

Registration: Out of State

  1. If your vehicle is not financed or leased you must bring in your out-of-state title.
  2. If your vehicle is financed and you are registering from one of the following states, you must bring in your out of state title: Kansas (prior to 2003), Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri (prior to July 2003), Montana, New York, Oklahoma, S Dakota, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Maine, Rhode Island and Arizona (prior to 2003).
  3. If your vehicle is financed and you are coming from any state other than those listed above, you will need to bring in your current out-of-state registration and the name and complete address of your lien holder.
  4. If your vehicle is leased, you will need your current out-of-state registration, lease agreement, and a Power of Attorney from your leasing company giving you permission to register the vehicle in Georgia.
  5. All owners must have a Georgia driver's license or a Georgia ID. You can find more information at Georgia's Department of Driver Services website. If a co-signer lives out of state, we will need a signed statement that they are on the title for financing purposes and not a legal resident of Georgia. We will also need a copy of their driver's license and their signature on the Georgia title application MV-1. At least one owner listed on the title must be a Georgia resident. View MV-1 Title Application (PDF).
  6. Proof of Georgia insurance must be transmitted to our database by your insurance company. View Georgia Drives E-Services website to verify that we have received your insurance information. An insurance binder may be accepted if you applied for insurance within the last 30 days. Contact you insurance company for binder information. View acceptable forms of proof of Georgia insurance.
  7. Complete Georgia Emissions Inspection
  8. If the vehicle was purchased from an out-of-state business or dealer and has never been titled, a 6.6% Title Ad Valorem Tax, based upon the fair market value of the vehicle, will be due upon registering your vehicle in Georgia. This fee is must be paid with either cash, money order or cashier's check. 
  9. If you are a new resident to the State of Georgia, you will be assessed a title tax of 3% of the Fair Market Value of the vehicle.


Titles are optional for 1985 and older year model vehicles.

Registration: Out of County

For registering a vehicle out of the county you must bring in:

  • Emissions Inspection, if applicable.
  • Last years registration
  • License plate number or VIN number
  • Proof that Driver's License has been update to Henry County Address

Registration: Out of Country

Please bring in the following items along with your proof of passing Georgia emissions (if applicable):

  • Proof of Georgia insurance
  • Georgia driver’s license, or out of state license
  • Military I.D.

If you are active military bring: 

  • Out of country Title Document/Registration
  • US DOT Form HS-7
  • US EPA Form 3520-1
  • US Customs and Border Protection Form CBP 7501 (for military in lieu of Form CBP7501, the DD1252 or DD 1854 can be used).
  • T-22B Form completed by a Law Enforcement Officer or County Tag Agent if the vehicle is physically driven to the tag office.
  • If the vehicle is financed, we will need the complete name and address of your lien holder.

View U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning customs documents.