- Motor Vehicles
- Insurance Requirements
A Georgia Insurance Policy is required on all motor vehicles registered in the State of Georgia. This insurance must be a minimum of liability coverage. Insurance cards are no longer accepted as proof of coverage for registration and renewals, however your insurance card should remain in your vehicle at all times. Your insurance company must download your policy in the the Georgia Electronic Insurance Compliance System (G.E.I.C.S).
Acceptable Proof of Insurance
For REGISTRATION PURPOSES ONLY these Documents are accepted as valid proof of coverage.
- Insurance Binder with an effective date of less than 30 days (This can ONLY be used for new purchases, new residents, or un-cancelling a tag.)
- Declarations Page with effective date of less than 30 days for a NEW PURCHASE and NEW RESIDENTS ONLY.
- Fleet Insurance (If you have a Fleet Insurance policy a Fleet Insurance card is required.)
**** To view your insurance status please visit the Georgia DRIVES ESERVICES website.****
INSURANCE CARDS may be needed for the following scenarios:
- Exchanging information when involved in an accident
- When traveling in another state
- required proof for a self-insured vehicle, fleet vehicle, or operating under an IRP registration.
Lapse of Insurance and Insurance Suspensions
A lapse of insurance occurs when a vehicle does not have valid Georgia insurance on a vehicle with a valid registration for a period of 10 or more consecutive days. When the insurance company reports this to the G.E.I.C.S system a notice of Pending Registration Suspension is sent in the mail to the registered owner. A lapse results in a $25 pending registration suspension fine that must be paid within 30 days of the mail date.
If the $25 fine is not paid and proof of valid insurance coverage is not downloaded into the G.E.I.C.S system by the due date the registration will be SUSPENDED. To reinstate the vehicle registration the $25 pending suspension fine plus the $60 suspension fine must be paid as well as insurance downloaded electronically to the database.
***It is very important that you cancel your vehicle registration if you are removing insurance for any reason when you have an active/valid registration***